Updated: Jul 31, 2020
Sheltering-in-place driving you stir crazy? Are your dreams falling by the wayside as your waistline expands? Or have you become a victim of the workaholic syndrome; stuck in a world of just being and working day to day? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then now is the time to take a breath, put on the brakes, and take a minute to pause.
Let’s face it, life is a bit crazy right now and we all seem to be beyond busy. There never seems to be enough hours in the day, and no shortage of new deadlines and priorities, which combined, can be overwhelming to even the most stalwart. We all have hopes, wishes, and dreams; whether we realize or not. Believe it or not, now is the time to act on those dreams.
As an HR professional, coach, and mentor, it is in my DNA to inspire people like you around the world, in all walks of life to find and live your Perfect Yes. Too often we tell ourselves why we can’t do something. Your Perfect Yes is your personal opportunity to achieve exactly what you most desire personally as well as professionally. Now is the perfect time. Remember you are the boss of your life and you have a choice to fulfill your dreams every day, week, month, year; you get the drift…
Today we will explore an easy foundation used in businesses. Typically, companies have various goals striving for more revenue, more market share, and in turn expect team members to roll up goals to align with achieving them. These are designed to push us to be better year upon year, raising the bar, upping the ante… Sell, sell more, take over the world!!! Yes, it is a fact. Businesses need profit and we need money.
So, let’s dive in and jumpstart this process yet kick it up a notch to a LIFE level. I share three different ways to help you hone in on capturing what:
– YOU are passionate about in your life today
– YOU really enjoy and would like to do more of
– YOU want to experience
– YOU wish to visit
– YOU would love to live
– YOU desire in the future
Ultimately, there are no rules or boundaries. The sky’s the limit so just have fun and be creative. Here are three techniques you can use to find one that is right for you:
1. Journaling: The more practical people tend to like to write things down. Sharpen your pencil and start jotting down whatever hopes, wishes, and dreams come to mind for each area like learning, money, relationship, fitness, spiritual, travel, career, adventures, etc.
2. Mind Mapping: The more logical people tend to like flowcharts to organize their thoughts. A great way to build your visual diagram by brainstorming and capturing on paper. In the center of the page, draw a circle and write in it in capital letters “My Life”. Now, draw lines radiating out from this circle and at the end of each one of the lines, write the name of a life aspect you want to consider as a goal.
3. Dream Board: The more artistic people tend to like artful visualizations. A colorful way to visualize all of your dreams either on a poster board or using software like PowerPoint. Choose photos, pictures, words, images, magazine cut outs, whatever your heart desires and cluster them in a collage format.
I personally like the Dream Board approach. I have been fortunate to have implemented variations of Dream Boards at several companies in areas such as the onboarding process, career and development mapping, and helping employees like you to find your Perfect Yes.
Stay tuned for my next article, it will be a practical guide to help you build your personal SMART goals based on your hopes, wishes, and dreams that you have courageously captured on paper, in a mind map, or on a dream board.